[plug] "dd" question

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Sep 27 16:38:36 WST 2002

> The dd command man page says there are different block sizes.  Which block
> size (bs) quantity is right for Linux.
> I was going to use the following command " dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=512

Interesting - I've never bothered setting a bs param, except when I want
to specify a count too eg bs=1M count=2048. It doesn't seem to matter -
or maybe dd defaults to the (correct for all ATA and most SCSI AFAIK)
512 value. Still, I've never had to set it.

If you know the right value, playing it safe and specifying it wouldn't
hurt.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)