[plug] "dd" question - dd is bad.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Sep 27 17:32:29 WST 2002

 > It buggers up tab-completion and wildcards. Join the dd boycot.
It does? Bash, at least as default configure on Debian 3.0, completes
filenames fine even as part of a command like that.

> Much safer to put the HDD in another PC and use rsync.

If you can't, at least set the drive to go into power saving mode after
its finished its job for the day, so if there's a power surge that lets
the magic smoke out of your PC there's less chance of nastiness with
disk heads. Of course, that won't protect your disk's PCB...

> I havnt tried it, but rsync might be a lot faster locally too. Anyone?

Doubt it - CPU time would be prohibitive I expect. Then again, I'm often
wrong about these things.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)