[plug] debian convert

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Thu Apr 3 08:56:52 WST 2003

On Thursday 03 April 2003 08:36, Patrick Tehvand wrote:
> Hello.
>
> My first impressions of installing Debian (3.0rsomething) is that it is
> pretty confusing! I consider myself an intermediate-advanced user and I
> had to read what it was saying a few times to get my head around it.

I just did my first Debian desktop install in a long while and by letting
tasksel do the work (something I never do with my server installs) there
where very few questions (am used to the long tedious instructions from
installing servers though) but you still have to do quite a bit yourself,
IIRC you can change the level of importance of the questions you would like
to answer though to the extent of everything being default, I don't remember
how though.

> Someone should really look at that - maybe have a "do everything for me"
> option and a "let me at it" option for installing.

If I'm not mistaken that might be part of the intention of the new
debian-installer (I'm sure I will be corrected though) which is being
developed, it looks as if it will even have a graphical front-end for once,
and someone said easily scriptable (like RedHat's kickstart)

> Aside from that I think you evil so-and-sos have found another convert.
> ahhhh no more bluecurve!

I used RedHat 8 for a period of about 1 day before reinstalling something
else, SuSE to be precise, because I hated bluecurve so much :)

> Patrick

Quintin