[plug] Maildir Archive and Retrieval or Access from cd?

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Thu Apr 3 11:22:28 WST 2003

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:33:50AM +0800, Daniel wrote:
> Next I played with different options to try to get the file names
> included in full (concept is to be able to access them as if they were
> the actual original).  Nothing I did seemed to result with the file
> names staying the same, even selecting the
> "Allows untranslated filenames"
> "Do not translate the characters '~' and '#'

Are the names being changed to 8.3 format?  If so, you probably need to
enable the Rock Ridge extensions for long filenames and unix attributes.

You can do the same for windows machines with the joliet extensions.
Joliet and rock ridge extensions can live on the same cd.

Just a point about reading Maildir off CD: you might find that reading
many files to read the mailbox is slow because of the seek time.  This
can apply to reading from HDs as well, but on a CD the seek time may be
overwhelming.  If you plan to read your mail from the CD (not just
backup), it may be worth experimenting with writing mbox format to the
CD instead, so all the mail is in one file and your drive does less
seeking to read it.  The reliability advantages of Maildir aren't
relevant on read only media.  There's a maildir2mbox that comes with
qmail, but beware it MOVES messages rather than copying them.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
In order to discover who you are, first learn who everybody else is;
you're what's left.