[plug] Maildir Archive and Retrieval or Access from cd?

Daniel cottmain at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Apr 3 10:33:50 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-02 at 12:23, Russell Steicke wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 08:19:39AM +0800, Daniel wrote:
> > Hello All,
> > I got onto maildir because I thought it the best way to handle huge
> > amounts of e-mail and archive them for later reference.
> >
> > Ideally the files were to be put to cd and accessed directly from there
> > if required.  Unfortunately the multiple small files seem to clash with
> > the cd writing format - doesn't work.
>
> Can you tell us how it's failing?  I use Maildir format, and I've just
> created a cd image of all my email, including one folder with 5000
> messages, and it worked fine.
>
> --
> Russell Steicke

Thanks Russell. Reading of your success I've tried again and got it kind
of working (bit shy to say - while I had chown -R etc I evidently hadn't
given it enough time to do it! When I did it worked).

Next I played with different options to try to get the file names
included in full (concept is to be able to access them as if they were
the actual original).  Nothing I did seemed to result with the file
names staying the same, even selecting the
"Allows untranslated filenames"
"Do not translate the characters '~' and '#'

Any pointers on if this is possible and how to do it would be great,
thank you.
Daniel.