[plug] Mandrake CD Caching?

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Sat Apr 5 10:35:53 WST 2003

Hi
I've noticed something quite annoying that I can't figure out.

Not having high speed Internet at home (because my wife wont let me, so
i purposely annoy her by tying up the phone line) I regularly burn cdrw
to take home for movies or data.

I've never used X a lot because most things are easier to do via the
command line. But as you know I am using Mandrake at home now so I have
set up the graphical desktop with the correct file types, (mostly
mplayer) so i can just dbl click and it plays a movie.

The problem is it seems to cache it when I change CDs. If i have a CD
with a couple of south park episodes, I dbl click to see what it is,
turn mplayer off then put a different CD in. It plays the same movie. I
tried to copy several CDs to my friends newly installed Mandrake 9.1 and
when he got home he said they were all the same movie with different
lengths and file names.

I have turned off supermount as I was told to by a CD customer. So I
guess it is something in Nautilus or something.

Is it obvious or something? If so why is it on by default?

Regards

--
Scott Middleton
Linux Information Technology