[plug] [OT] Kate Lundy's web site

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 7 10:11:59 WST 2003

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 09:37:31AM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> Bernd Felsche wrote:

> >Vast difference between Departmental and personal sites.

> >I note that the Minister's "personal" website is
> >http://www.richardalston.dcita.gov.au is within dcita.gov.au, so I
> >guess he's paying the FBT on that as well.

> Which takes you to:  http://www.dcita.gov.au/Home/0,,0_4-2_4008,00.html
>
> Managed by the very same Vignette CMS software.  i.e. $900,000 worth.
> Not unless he paid for Vignette for his personal site as well?  Doesn't
> seem like a vast difference to me.

I was comparing a real personal site such as Sen. Lundy's to Sen.
Alston's "personal" site.

I doubt very much if all the DCITA site could be considered Sen.
Alston's personal site... it's clearly the department's. The fact
that Sen. Alston is reaping a significant fringe benefit (worth at
least $1000 p.a., ignoring the CMS and authoring cost components) by
having his personal pages hosted within the departmental web site.

Members of the Opposition of course don't get their foot in the door
when getting "freebies" by virtue of being ministers. It'd be
interesting for an official audit to be undertaken of all government
departmental websites to see who's getting a free ride.

Should be a few $$$$$$$$$$$ in it for the ATO if the Ministers
aren't paying for it out of their generous allowances. :-)