[plug] OT: POST codes for Gigabyte?

indy at THE-TECH.MIT.EDU indy at THE-TECH.MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 8 08:17:24 WST 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 07:51:06AM +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> > under "ye olde IBM sort of standard" 3 long beeps used to mean
> > "keyboard trouble"
> > (e.g. none of my old compaq's will boot w/o a kb)
>
> Checked the site... it's an Award BIOS.
> 	Award BIOS Post Codes
>
> 	Unfortunately there are many versions of the Award BIOS, and
> 	they are supported not by one company, but by the
> 	motherboard maker.
>
> I've sent an email to Gigabyte... I've also bought a Lotto ticket.

heh... good luck!

BTW, are you sure it is 3 long beeps and not
1 long + 2 short?

1L + 2S is the Award standard code for "Video adapter trouble"
and their general policy is that you should see a more informative
error code on screen. Thus only 1 documented standard beep.

Indy.

--
Indranath Neogy
<indy at the-tech.mit.edu>