[plug] Debian puzzle, very weird.

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Apr 8 16:39:44 WST 2003

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 10:57:29PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> libc6      == 2.2.5-14
> coreutils  == W: Unable to locate package coreutils
> fileutils  == 4.1.10-2
> shellutils == 2.0.12-2
> textutils  == 2.1-1
>
> > And a glance at your sources.list?
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free

I've downloaded the relevant Packages files from these sources, and
I claim that the versions you've listed of these packages don't
exist in those distributions...

The versions that I've found in those sources:

libc6: 2.2.5-11.2
fileutils: 4.1-10
shellutils: 2.0.11-11
textutils: 2.0-12

In fact, I can't find the versions you mentioned anywhere. Are you
absolutely certain there are no spurious lines in your sources.list?
More info needed - can you post
`apt-cache policy libc6 fileutils shellutils textutils`?

I've got a hunch that some strange apt source crept in somewhere and
the segvs are from library incompatibilities, just trying to
prove/disprove it :)

Regards,

Bernard.

--