[plug] Debian puzzle, very weird.

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Apr 8 21:09:35 WST 2003

On Tuesday 08 April 2003 16:39, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 10:57:29PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> libc6      == 2.2.5-14
>> coreutils  == W: Unable to locate package coreutils
>> fileutils  == 4.1.10-2
>> shellutils == 2.0.12-2
>> textutils  == 2.1-1

>>> And a glance at your sources.list?
>>
>> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
>> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
>> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib
non-free

> I've downloaded the relevant Packages files from these sources, and
> I claim that the versions you've listed of these packages don't
> exist in those distributions...

> The versions that I've found in those sources:
>
> libc6: 2.2.5-11.2
> fileutils: 4.1-10
> shellutils: 2.0.11-11
> textutils: 2.0-12
>
> In fact, I can't find the versions you mentioned anywhere.

Odd, to say the least. They look like future versions.

> Are you absolutely certain there are no spurious lines in your sources.list?

> More info needed - can you post
> `apt-cache policy libc6 fileutils shellutils textutils`?

This is from Machine B, machine A's sshd doesn't seem to be responding at the
moment. I'll post Machine A's results if I can get it back again.

I thought to see if Debian had an equivalent of /etc/redhat-release or
/etc/mandrake-release and the contents of this made me wonder a bit:

# cat /etc/debian_version
testing/unstable

# dpkg -l libc6 coreutils fileutils shellutils textutils
libc6                   2.3.1-16
coreutils               4.5.10-1
fileutils               4.5.10-1
shellutils              4.5.10-1
textutils               4.5.10-1

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing non-US/main non-US/contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
deb ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/debian testing main non-free

# apt-cache policy libc6 fileutils shellutils textutils
libc6:
  Installed: 2.3.1-16
  Candidate: 2.3.1-16
  Version Table:
 *** 2.3.1-16 0
        500 ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.2.5-11.2 0
        500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
fileutils:
  Installed: 4.5.10-1
  Candidate: 4.5.10-1
  Version Table:
 *** 4.5.10-1 0
        500 ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
shellutils:
  Installed: 4.5.10-1
  Candidate: 4.5.10-1
  Version Table:
 *** 4.5.10-1 0
        500 ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
textutils:
  Installed: 4.5.10-1
  Candidate: 4.5.10-1
  Version Table:
 *** 4.5.10-1 0
        500 ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Cheers; Leon