[plug] SID & X

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Apr 8 17:38:30 WST 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 01:18:39PM +0800, Steve Lamont wrote:

| This doesn't work. Is it a font or permissions problem. I can run X no
| problems.

It's a font problem - you've got a font somewhere that XFree doesn't
like.  Wine loads up every font it can find so that various bits of
information that Windows programs care about can be retrieved quickly.
If one of your fonts is slightly dodgy, X will give Wine a badmatch
error; Wine doesn't like this, and does a gruesome death.

I fixed this problem when I first encountered it by removing stuff from
the fontpath in my XF86Config.  After doing so, Wine got past the font
bit, but still did an absolutely lousy job of actually running Windows
programs. :(

CP.