[plug] Redhat 9.0

Kai Jones kai.jones at broome.wa.gov.au
Wed Apr 9 14:56:46 WST 2003

>> Trust me, getting them to use Linux in the first place would be a
>> mission.
>
>No more of a mission than a new perversion of Windows.

This may be true but most users are set in their ways and if they don't hear
the words "you've got", "Microsoft" and "Windows" in the same sentence after
they ask "what's it got?, they tend to throw a spack and demand (to quote
someone here who said it the other day) "I want the Microsoft put back on,
NOW !".

>> So one step at a time sounds good to me.  I'm only looking at it
>> at the moment, still not implementing Linux on the desktop for the
>> time being.
>
>The more people get used to "working" with Windows, the worse the
>transition.
>
>It's much easier if Linux desktops are their first experience.

Problem is most people have already used Windows at some stage or another on
their home machine or at a telecentre etc etc and the're used to the layout
and operation of it, I don't know how many people would have Linux as their
first desktop experience, but I doubt it would be that many when you compare
to the amount of people who'd have used Windows during their first bash on a
computer.