[plug] Redhat 9.0

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 9 14:36:07 WST 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 02:27:57PM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> Arie Hol wrote:

> >I would have thought that - teaching a newbie how to do a 'ps and
> >kill -9 ' would help a newbie to understand just one of the basic
> >reasons why Linux is better than Windows, instead of giving them
> >a Windows type work around, that does not improve their
> >undestanding about what their system can/cannot do.

> Sounds to me like you haven't done desktop support recently in a
> normal office with normal users :P

No such thing as a "normal user".

Most don't care _how_ their systems work. They just want them to
work - which with Windows is frequently not what's happening.

People in an office environment are supposed to use their computers
_for_ work, not as a distraction.

http://bernd.felsche.org/why.html

> Trust me, getting them to use Linux in the first place would be a
> mission.

No more of a mission than a new perversion of Windows.

> So one step at a time sounds good to me.  I'm only looking at it
> at the moment, still not implementing Linux on the desktop for the
> time being.

The more people get used to "working" with Windows, the worse the
transition.

It's much easier if Linux desktops are their first experience.