[plug] server failing with bizarre disk errors

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Apr 9 17:25:32 WST 2003

> Just a random question - if you reboot the machine does it start again
> fine?

Yeah, runs great for hours/days - as if nothing were wrong - then craps
itsself suddently. Sometimes when it goes I can still login and try to
halt the machine, but the "halt" process goes zombie. Sometimes it just
/dies/.

> I opened the case, and the hdd was frying, so I left the case open and
> stuck a fan in front of it to cool it down for a while and the problem
> was solved - temporarily at least - it seems I have too much in a too
> small a case which is more the problem.

It doesn't appear to be heat releated. The drives are both in 5 1/4"
bays with mounting brackets and drive bay fans.