[plug] removeable media drives + Linux

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Thu Apr 10 11:27:52 WST 2003

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a removeable media drive of some type for
backup of large amounts of data.  Of course the drive has to be fully
capable of being used under Linux properly (as it'll be in/connected to
the Samba machine).  Basically I'm looking for something that has a
minimum native (uncompressed) data storage size in excess of 120Gb
(160-180Gb would be better).

Backing up to another machine with a bunch of hard disks over the LAN
isn't an option.  Management want something that one of them can take
home with them in a box daily (I'm glad I'm not the one having to take
it home).  So I'm looking for something that just involves taking a
tape/cartridge/whatever out of the drive, putting it into its case and
being put into a secure box and taken home with someone of an evening.

Basically its probably going to be setup to perform daily incremental
backups, weekly full backups and probably monthly archival backups.

Just wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions, comments, tips or
experiences to share?

Thanks,

Ben