[plug] Think client hardware - was server failing with bizarre disk errors

Kai kai.jones at broome.wa.gov.au
Thu Apr 10 12:15:10 WST 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:

>>> For business /servers/ . Think thin client.
>>

>> That was my first thought when I saw it, perfect for a think client
>> because it comes with a built-in boot ROM.
>> Mobo size is only 17cm * 17cm and although the boss intially liked the
>> idea his main concern was how long VIA would be supporting the board -
>> RAM is the only thing no built into/onto it and there's a single DDR
>> slot for that.
>

> Not a serious issue. 256MB of DDR is about $70 now, which is just silly.
> 64MB is huge overkill for an X11 thin client, so 256 should be plenty
> for /many/ years to come.
>
> What's the chipset on the board? so long as you can compile a kernel
> that'll boot it far enough to load XFree86 over NFS, that's all you need.

Here's a bit of info from the side column of the one page review:
Processor: VIA C3/EDEN 933MHz
Chipset: VIA CLE266 North Bridge, VT8235 South Bridge
RAM: 1 x DDR 266 (up to 1 Gb)

Onboard -
Video: Integrated VIA CastleRock AGP graphics wth MPEG-2 decoder and
TV-out (RCA and S-video)
LAN: VIA VT6103 10/100BaseT Eth PHY
Audio: VIA VT1616 6 channel AC'97 codec
1394: VIA VT6307S IEEE 1394 FireWire
Expansion slots: 1 x PCI
Contact: BCN Technology
Phone: 02 9648 0888
http://ebusiness.bcntech.com.au

Only problem the review found was poor 3D performance, but that won't
matter for a thin client.
Good points: tine, quiet, versatile, perfect DVD playback, 5.1 surround
capable...sure you won't need most of that either.