[plug] server failing with bizarre disk errors

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 10 11:54:45 WST 2003

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:18:46AM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> Brad Campbell wrote:
>
> >Laugh away. Our samba server/router is an EPIA800 with an 80GB Seagate
> >drive, an extra PCI network card, all in a natty little cube silver case.
> >Does what we want just fine thanks.

> How many users?!!!

> Maybe for a firewall/router or a small workgroup of users.  But I
> wouldn't be expecting anything reliable out of it myself.

It's more reliable than dual Xeon toaster. :-)

Quality stuff. As long as memory is adequate and one PCI slot is all
you need, there's no substantial reason not to use it for a small to
medium business network.

The PCI slot will take a multi-channel SCSI adapter and the two
IEEE1394 interfaces will talk to a room-full of drives. Nett
bandwidth for the drives is limited by PCI bus. But then, there's
only a 100Mbit network interface...

As long as you're not trying to use it as a compute- or enterprise
database server, it'll hang together well as a file, mail, ldap,
intranet, dns, dhcp, PDC and web proxy server; depending on the size
of your network and how it's abused!