[plug] FTP services over a VPN

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sat Apr 12 13:39:22 WST 2003

I have a VPN established using CIPE between 2 Linux servers (RHL7.1 (srvB and RHL7.2srvA).  All services running fine. However, I need to install FTP to run between  SrvA to SrvB.  They only need to be able to upload their updated web pages to the web server.  What I would like to do is give the user a certain userid (web)  access so when they login using the correct UserID they are automatically placed in the right location (/var/www/html).  However, I cannot get FTP to work.  I've installed WU-FTP, ANONFTP configured the fpthost as such:
allow web 192.168.0.1/24
allow jlmiller 192.168.1.0/24
allow jlmiller 192.168.5.0/24

Is there something I've missed? and where or which file controls where the user has access to?
Hopefully this is enough information.
I should mention I only want the access to be strictly internal.
I have a firewall on SrvA that accepts ftp packets using iptables and SrvB is using ipchains.
If I want to give access to anyone else based on their IP address is the ftphost file the correct file to put their IP address in and should I be more restrictive using an ipaddress vs a subnet.  Considering their is only one person on the network that uses ftp?

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby