[plug] Stopping Mailing List for holidays

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Apr 13 11:34:08 WST 2003

Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:38:09PM +0800, Ryan wrote:
> | .. although you use Eudora, so it probably corrupts its
> | folder indexes every week and trashes it all? (microsoft called that
> | feature autoarchive) ..
>
> Hmm, never did it to me. :)  Eudora stores its folders in Unix mbox
> format[1], too, so when the time came to Switch(tm) it was relatively
> painless.

Oooh, trust me, Eudora 3.3 for the Mac and for windows /loves/ to
corrupt indexes. It doesn't lose your mail but it'll take forever
rebuilding the index. I speak from (support) experience, unfortunately.

Eudora 5 seems to have that problem nailed, but instead has a lovely
quirk with a lockfile to prevent profile sharing. It
	(a) creates it too late in loading, so a user double-clicking on a
windoze quick-launch icon gets two copies with the same mbox files open
- ick.
	(b) can't properly detect whether there's a running instance, so it
assumes the lockfile is valid and so after a crash locks the user out of
their mailbox 'till the lockfile is manually deleted.

As for the eudora .mbx files, at least in v3 they're in almost-mbox
format unfortunately. It strips out the attachments and does something
funny with the headers, plus it doesn't handle mime-multipart correctly.
As a result, something like Mozilla or mutt gets /really/ confused
script first, and mine isn't what you'd call good.

Rant over.

Craig