[plug] Stopping Mailing List for holidays

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Apr 13 11:03:56 WST 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 10:31:54AM +0800, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:

| yes, I keep a nice large archive of PLUG stuff in Eudora and it hasn't
| corrupted since i joined over 1 year ago. When I am away I will be
| accessing my email from the web mail interface of optus and it won't be
| downloaded to a computer till i get back so it would fill up very fast.

Yeah :)  Though it depends how much mail quota you have - last month's
Plug mail is about 3mb in ~750 messages, so if you have a 5--10mb quota
and aren't going away for an incredibly long time, you should be fine.

| maybe be able to work it out some other way as Eudora checks the email at
| least twice a day even if i am away so i may be able to just leave it on
| the server and set up a filter to remove all the PLUG stuff from the server
| after downloading.

That might work, assuming Eudora lets you do that.

| What format are the Eudora mailboxes in? And how can i access them from
| Linux as Eudora is over the network.

Trying to access Eudora mailboxes over a network while Eudora is running
is a recipe for pain.  Having said that, Eudora's mbx files are (were)
stored in mbox format, i.e. the same as e.g. Pine, Mutt, and Evolution use.
The only tricky bit was converting Windows-style CRLF newlines into LF's.

Eudora can also talk to an IMAP server (e.g. courier-imap running on
your Linux machine) and you can convince it to filter some messages onto
the local machine and others across the network to the IMAP server.

Cheers,

Cameron.