[plug] Mozilla Interface Font (& AA)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Apr 15 09:28:52 WST 2003

>   a) So obvious it doesn't deem an answer
>   b) So obscure no-one's come across it before?

Yep. Debian 3.0 with AA fonts is "know what you're doing" territory. I
was quite unhappy to discover the lack of full AA support in woody, but
decided it wasn't worth the trouble of getting it all running with
freetype, etc.

>   c) One of those embarrassing hard to solve Linux issues we try not to talk
> about?

Its a hard question. The rest - you suggest there are a number of
difficult and "avoided" questions on this list. I've love to know what
they are. My impression is that if someone has an issue, they'll ask -
and if someone knows the answer they'll reply if they have time and get
around to reading the post. Not getting an answer doesn't mean that
you're being snubbed for asking an "obvious" question (which get asked -
and answered - a _lot_ on [plug]), or have asked some scary question
that everybody wants to stick their head in the sand and pretend doesn't
exist.

If you really want consistent and easy AA fonts, go for RH. It tends to
be 6 months to a year ahead of Debian's stable release (at time of a
debian release its often 3 + months ahead), and AA font support is still
improving/stabilising.

 >>I'm trying to get a recent Mozilla (1.2.1 from a third-party Woody
 >>Debian package) to work with AA fonts. It works fine, in that mail and
 >>web page content uses AA fonts properly. However, the font used for the
 >>interface itself isn't AA'ed. This wouldn't be quite so bad, except that
 >>the display size and the interpreted size of the font seem to be
 >>different. ie; If I click in the middle of a URL to type/edit something,
 >>then where I click visually isn't where the cursor ends up.
 >>
 >>Have I stuffed something up?

Don't know. If the package uses freetype, make sure its configured
correctly. Try a different type of font, like a Type 1 font if you're
using a TT font.

 >>How can I change the Mozilla Interface Font?

Just change the gtk font. You can do this via the GNOME control center.
Mozilla should be using your gtk fonts.