[plug] Mozilla Interface Font (& AA)

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Apr 15 16:31:46 WST 2003

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 09:28, Craig Ringer wrote:

> >   c) One of those embarrassing hard to solve Linux issues we try not to
> > talk about?
>
> Its a hard question. The rest - you suggest there are a number of
> difficult and "avoided" questions on this list. I've love to know what
> they are. My impression is that if someone has an issue, they'll ask -
> and if someone knows the answer they'll reply if they have time and get
> around to reading the post. Not getting an answer doesn't mean that
> you're being snubbed for asking an "obvious" question (which get asked -
> and answered - a _lot_ on [plug]), or have asked some scary question
> that everybody wants to stick their head in the sand and pretend doesn't
> exist.

I suspect I'm just frustrated. I seem to be too slow, or not the right sort of
Guru to answer many of the questions others have on PLUG, yet when I *do*
have a problem, it tends to be in a niche area where no-one can answer it, or
a not-so-niche area (you'd think), that no-one can answer (or at least, not
satisfactorly).

It's more frustration at Linux, than this list. I love Linux, and use it for
everything (except some of the latest games), but there are some areas where
things really are just that much simpler under other OSs.

Aah well, things are always improving at least, and Linux does tend to win
more than lose in most of the areas I care about.

> If you really want consistent and easy AA fonts, go for RH. It tends to
> be 6 months to a year ahead of Debian's stable release (at time of a
> debian release its often 3 + months ahead), and AA font support is still
> improving/stabilising.

Well, I run Debian 3.0, with bits of Unstable and Testing recompiled for 3.0.
I use pwm as my Window Manager, and predominantly use KDE apps. On the whole,
I've had AA working fine for quite some time now. Heck, even old Mozilla's
worked fine AA'ed, via GdkXft. New (1.2.1 onwards) Mozilla is the only app
I'm having these problems with.

The latter Mozilla's are now saying "don't use GdkXft, use the built-in
Freetype support" - so I'm trying to get that working. And on the whole, it
works reasonably for page content. It's just the interface itself; the menus,
the Location field, etc... I don't really care if they're not AA'ed (I spend
more time reading page content than menus), at this stage, but the spacing
problem is really annoying, for typing URLs and such...

And Googling for things like "Mozilla Interface Font" gives lots of responses
about Mozilla's interface for changing the fonts that pages use...

>  >>How can I change the Mozilla Interface Font?
>
> Just change the gtk font. You can do this via the GNOME control center.
> Mozilla should be using your gtk fonts.

Is there any way to edit this without requiring megs of Gnome apps & support
libs to be installed? A nice little config file somewhere?

Having a rummage now, my system does have a .gtkrc. I'll have a poke around
there, and see if I can find a nicer solution...

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |