[SPAM 03.50] Re: [plug] [ot] wysiwyg html editor

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Apr 16 10:33:05 WST 2003

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 00:02, Arie Hol wrote:

> From the above message I have the impression that you are in a Windows
> environment - I can suggest two solutions :
>
> If your organisation is already using Microsoft Office - then why not use
> Word to create your web pages, just create your pages as usual but save
> them as 'HTML' documents. Trouble is Word puts too much 'extra garbage'
> into the pages.

*shudders in horror*
The problem I have with using "word processors" for creating web content, is
that it's not the same thing. That is, word processors traditionally create
documents intended for print: Fixed page width and height, forced breaks, no
problem with absolute positioning. Web pages are continuous, and are of
variable width.

At least things like openoffice (and even newer Word) support them better now
they still encourage absolute positioning, which is to be avoided where
possible.

The other problem is design mentality. If someone is used to word processors,
then they'll use formatting techniques (such as absolute positioning, tab
indents, etc...) which don't scale well in the world of HTML. I guess this is
where the training comes in to things.

(Ugh! Have headache, am rambling... Sorry...)

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |