[plug] Binding Ctrl-Backspace in tcsh

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Apr 16 10:56:19 WST 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> A quick one that I hope has a simple answer. Using tcsh, can I bind
> Ctrl-Backspace (using bindkey to bind it to a tcsh action)? And if I can, how
> do I do it? ^_^

Kind of, but not trivially. Backspace is arleady a control code, of
course, (unlike DEL), so Ctrl-Backspace doesnt mean anything is the ascii
sense. But X understands such things. You must configure your terminal
(xterm, gnome-terminal, etc. ) to bind a key-sequence to Ctrl-Backspace.
  Then you can tell your shell to bind an action to that sequence.

For Xterm, you can use *VT100.Translations resources.

Thats probably put you off. Does anyone know if gnome or kde have a
simple, standard (gui?) way to do this?

--
Ask not for whom the telephone bell tolls...
if thou art in the bathtub, it tolls for thee.