[plug] [ot] new consultants

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 16 11:00:59 WST 2003

Bernd Felsche wrote:

>>Firstly, thanks for all the feedback.  It has been most helpful.
>>I have found out a little more about our needs- aparently our 'QA'
>>consultant is going to be building a small in house web site for
>>us as part of our document control system.  He uses frontpage.  He
>>has recomended we use frontpage to insert our content (as far as I
>>can tell at the moment it is just loading up word docs to make
>>them available internally) Frontpage is probably  the only thing
>>he knows about web design.
>>

>>If this is the case, then sending two staff on a frontpage course
>>sounds like a big waste of time & money.  I'm sure a few php
>>scripts could handle whatever our needs are to enable non tech
>>staff to load up content.
>>

>Crikey, yeah... if that's all you're doing. Even a CGI form can do
>the trick.

I think the root of the problem here is a consultant giving advice well
out of his field of expertise.  This advice is not cheap- Not just his
fees but the training expense he was going to inflict on us, time lost
for those doing the training, time lost for those trying to cover their
jobs while they are away at training...  It all adds up.  Those going on
the training course are not interested in html or web aurthoring.  They
are only going to go because they think they need it to get a small part
of their job done.  Given it can be done in another way with much less
expense this advice has to be considered poor at best.

Regards,
Tim Bowden