[plug] [ot] wysiwyg html editor

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 16 10:42:02 WST 2003

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 10:31:22AM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> Derek Fountain wrote:
>
> >>Yep, I recommend DW also...DW only works on Mac and Windows but it's WAY
> >>better than FrontPage !!

> >Another vote for Dreamweaver. Sites designed with Frontpage shout
> >"this was designed with Frontpage!" very loudly. Dreamweaver is
> >in a different league.

> >There's nothing like it in the free software world. Basic HTML
> >editing is available in Netscape, Staroffice, etc., but if you
> >need the real thing - meaning site management, rather than just
> >page construction - you have to go into the Windows world.

> Firstly, thanks for all the feedback.  It has been most helpful.
> I have found out a little more about our needs- aparently our 'QA'
> consultant is going to be building a small in house web site for
> us as part of our document control system.  He uses frontpage.  He
> has recomended we use frontpage to insert our content (as far as I
> can tell at the moment it is just loading up word docs to make
> them available internally) Frontpage is probably  the only thing
> he knows about web design.

> If this is the case, then sending two staff on a frontpage course
> sounds like a big waste of time & money.  I'm sure a few php
> scripts could handle whatever our needs are to enable non tech
> staff to load up content.

Crikey, yeah... if that's all you're doing. Even a CGI form can do
the trick.

With "wvware" (http://wvware.sourceforge.net) you could have a fair
whack at making all the Wierd docs viewable using any web browser or
PDF-reader on any platform.

e.g.

NAME
       wvHtml - convert msword documents to HTML4.0
SYNOPSIS
       wvHtml in_word_doc out_html_doc
DESCRIPTION
       wvHtml  converts word documents into W3C certified HTML4.0
       format. You can use Netscape or some other browser to then
       view your docs.
MORE INFORMATION
       http://wvware.sourceforge.net

Just convince Apache to do the conversion of documents from Samba's
"published" shares on the fly. Maybe a simple front-end so that
users can catalogue and index what they claim to be in the document
and to squirrel away the document perversion.