[plug] Getting linux running ona beige g3 mac

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Apr 16 14:43:10 WST 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:47:59 +0800
> From: Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: Re: [plug] Getting linux running ona beige g3 mac
>
> > It's nothing to do with it being beige, is it? Would a transparent blue
> > one let you see what is going on?
>
> Yeah, probably. Gotta love a mac. Even apple describes the powerbook
> revisions as "copper keyboard / brown keyboard" or whatever.
>
> In this case, there's a definite chance that the beige G3s don't use
> Open Firmware - I think that started out with the B&W G3s . Can't check
> because while we do have a beige G3 @ work its more than slightly
> important - controls our SCSI imagesetter.
>
> I run a network that has 10 macs on it, and *oh how I hate them*. OS 10
> is OK (v.good with some "apple blind spots") but OS 9 is so apalling.
> Crashintosh, indeed.
>
> Craig Ringer

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that the problem stemmed
from the use of Adobe Pagemaker runnning on Mac's, as the best available
desktop publishing tool combination, back in the early 1990's, with
nothing comparable for Windows, and, Linux was then in its infancy, from
memory, without having achieved v1.0, and, I remember at about that
time, the achievement of Linux being ported to the 486, as, up until
then, it had been able to run on 386's, but had just got ported to the
486. I believe, also, that at that time, Linux was only text-based, and,
that the primary commercially used word-processor, was Word Perfect 5.2,
an non-GUI word processor, thus making the use of Adobe pagemaker
running on Mac's, especially with the A4 screens, much more attractive
to media people.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale