[plug][ot] Getting linux running ona beige g3 mac

Carl Gherardi Carl.Gherardi at nautronix.com.au
Wed Apr 16 16:10:10 WST 2003

Hey all,

All this mac talk got me thinking - has anyone managed to get a DVD
running as their desktop wallpaper under either KDE or Gnome yet?

I managed to find a way under OS 9, and use a 3rd party app to go full
screen using OSX.2 (transperant terminals running over the matrix... Oh
yeah!) but never got around to figuring out how to do it using X11.

Anyone even attempted this?

> From: Craig Ringer [mailto:craig at postnewspapers.com.au]
>
> Yep. A handy thing it would've been too, when people said
> "but macs are so expensive!". *grin*.
>
> Of course, the core of MacOS hasn't seriously advanced since
> then except in memory footprint and slowdown factor. OS7 was
> the best OS around ...
> alas, its still better than OS9.

Bah. Remove microsoft products from OS 9 and everything "Just works"

> I'll keep my 1.5Ghz athlon with 2x 120g HDDs and a gig of RAM
> thanks. I remember my "gigantic" 160mb HDD in my LCIII - still
> got it here somewhere. It was a big step up from the 40mb (?) in the
> SE/30 I had before.

Rekon I'd take a mac first, maybe not the LC3. One thing in apples favor
has always been superior hardware, and having an integrated opengl
desktop now... Its hard to go past.

Cheers

Carl

PS: Anyone know a way to make the following footer appear as a vcard or
similar using .signature magic - Its appended a hop after where its
sent.

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Nautronix Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient, you have received this email in error and
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this email in error please contact the sender.

Although our computer systems use active virus protection software, and we take
various measures to reduce the risk of viruses being transmitted in e-mail
messages and attachments sent from this company, we cannot guarantee that such
e-mail messages and attachments are free from viruses on receipt.  It is a
condition of our using e-mail to correspond with you, that any and all liability
on our part arising directly or indirectly out of any virus is excluded.
Please ensure that you run virus checking software on all e-mail messages and
attachments before reading them.