[plug] PCI Modem troubleshooting

Jason Smuts jason at mantacom.com
Thu Apr 17 08:27:28 WST 2003

I have just installed a 56k PCI Modem into a machine running Debain
(Woody) 3.0 in the hope of setting it up as my internet gateway on a
small network.  Anyway, I've only recently switched to Linux so there
are still many mysteries ...

Under Windows, the modem was visible as an additional COM port (COM3),
however, when I configured ppp to use /dev/ttyS2 I get no response from
the modem (also tried ttyS3).  'lspci' lists my modem as '00:11.0
Rockwell ...' so I know it can see it.  My next step would normally be
to use a program like 'HyperTerminal' to connect directly to each port
and issue 'AT' commands but I haven't found such a program.  I tried
'minicom' but it didn't seem to give me direct access to the port?  I
didn't like it anyway (no offense anyone).

Questions:
1) Should the modem be accessible via ttyS2? (or ttyS3) or is it some
other mechanism I don't know about?
2) If so, is there some simple shell script that will redirect stdin to
/dev/ttySX And the output from /dev/ttySX to stdout? (Effectively giving
me a comms terminal like Hyperterminal)

Thanks,

Jason

-