[plug] PCI Modem troubleshooting

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Apr 17 08:43:15 WST 2003

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:27:28 +0800 "Jason Smuts" <jason at mantacom.com> wrote:

> Questions:
> 1) Should the modem be accessible via ttyS2? (or ttyS3) or is it some
> other mechanism I don't know about?
> 2) If so, is there some simple shell script that will redirect stdin to
> /dev/ttySX And the output from /dev/ttySX to stdout?

I'd suggest easiest solution to both questions is to run pppconfig as root.
This is a script that allows you to configure multiple ISP
connections (the default one is 'provider' .. more on this below).

So run up pppconfig choose 'New Connection' and follow your nose
through the questions. Most ISPs use PAP auth so start with that.

Part way through there is a question that asks if you'd like the
modem to be probed. Say yes here and see if it gets found. If it
isn't found then you have a problem. If not, complete any other
questions, save the configuration on the menues and exit.