[plug] PCI Modem troubleshooting

Luke Dudney dex at wn.com.au
Thu Apr 17 08:54:31 WST 2003

On 17/04/03 08:27, Jason Smuts wrote:

>I have just installed a 56k PCI Modem into a machine running Debain
>(Woody) 3.0 in the hope of setting it up as my internet gateway on a
>small network.  Anyway, I've only recently switched to Linux so there
>are still many mysteries ...
>
>Under Windows, the modem was visible as an additional COM port (COM3),
>however, when I configured ppp to use /dev/ttyS2 I get no response from
>the modem (also tried ttyS3).  'lspci' lists my modem as '00:11.0
>Rockwell ...' so I know it can see it.  My next step would normally be
>to use a program like 'HyperTerminal' to connect directly to each port
>and issue 'AT' commands but I haven't found such a program.  I tried
>'minicom' but it didn't seem to give me direct access to the port?  I
>didn't like it anyway (no offense anyone).
>
>Questions:
>1) Should the modem be accessible via ttyS2? (or ttyS3) or is it some
>other mechanism I don't know about?
>2) If so, is there some simple shell script that will redirect stdin to
>/dev/ttySX And the output from /dev/ttySX to stdout? (Effectively giving
>me a comms terminal like Hyperterminal)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jason
>
>-

You can use minicom as a terminal program to try and talk to the modem.
ctrl-a-o from memory gives you a menu where you can select the serial
port to talk to.

If you have no luck talking to the modem this way, you might need to set
the serial port parameters.
Get the IRQ and IO from the output of 'cat /proc/pci' and do something
like this:

# /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS1 port 0x2c00 irq 10 uart 16550A

Cheers
Luke