[plug] PCI Modem troubleshooting

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Apr 17 10:45:13 WST 2003

> No one has mentioned the possibility that it is a winmodem!

Possibly it was assumed he'd verified it wasn't. Whatever. It /is/
possible, even though it shows up as a COM1-4 port in windows, that its
a winmodem.

	http://www.linmodems.org/

You haven't listed the device's PCI ID or full name so I can't find out,
you'll need to look it up. To get the PCI ID, run lspci and take note of
the device number (00:11.0 in this case). Then run lspci -n and look for
that device number. There will be two four-digit hex codes near it, and
that's the PCI Vendor and device id. A google search for these codes
will often give you an answer.

If not, digging around linmodems.org should help. There's a link to a
winmodems database near the bottom of the page but its indexed by FCC
ID. If you can find an FCC ID printed on your modem, thats the way to go.

As for direct port access, there was a great tool on SCO, part of UUCP I
think, that allowed easy access to the serial ports - but I can't
remember what it was and haven't found anything like it for linux. I
just use minicom.