[plug] PCI Modem troubleshooting

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Thu Apr 17 10:28:31 WST 2003

No one has mentioned the possibility that it is a winmodem!

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 08:27, Jason Smuts wrote:
    I have just installed a 56k PCI Modem into a machine running Debain
    (Woody) 3.0 in the hope of setting it up as my internet gateway on a
    small network.  Anyway, I've only recently switched to Linux so there
    are still many mysteries ...

    Under Windows, the modem was visible as an additional COM port (COM3),
    however, when I configured ppp to use /dev/ttyS2 I get no response from
    the modem (also tried ttyS3).  'lspci' lists my modem as '00:11.0
    Rockwell ...' so I know it can see it.  My next step would normally be
    to use a program like 'HyperTerminal' to connect directly to each port
    and issue 'AT' commands but I haven't found such a program.  I tried
    'minicom' but it didn't seem to give me direct access to the port?  I
    didn't like it anyway (no offense anyone).

    Questions:
    1) Should the modem be accessible via ttyS2? (or ttyS3) or is it some
    other mechanism I don't know about?
    2) If so, is there some simple shell script that will redirect stdin to
    /dev/ttySX And the output from /dev/ttySX to stdout? (Effectively giving
    me a comms terminal like Hyperterminal)

    Thanks,

    Jason

    -