[plug] LVM1 - opinions?

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 15:09:48 WST 2003

> I'm about to set up a machine with significant amounts of RAID storage,
> and I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with LVM. If so,
> what did you think?
>
> It looks awfully handy, especially on a relatively big machine intended
> to run as-built for years (with OS upgrades as they become available,
> its a terminal server so old software isn't good).

It's great. Reliable, flexible and easy to use. I run my multi-disk machine
with /usr and /opt as LVM logical disks with ReiserFS on top. Works a treat,
and the ability to resize on the fly and as required is just so useful you'll
wonder how you did without it.

I think all Linux distros should create LVM setups by default. That would do
away with the endless "how big should I make my partitions" threads you see
on less technical mailing lists than this one.

--
"...our desktop is falling behind stability-wise and feature wise to KDE
...when I went to Mexico in December to the facility where we launched gnome,