[plug] LVM1 - opinions?

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Apr 17 16:08:29 WST 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 03:09:48PM +0800, Derek Fountain wrote:
> I think all Linux distros should create LVM setups by default. That would do
> away with the endless "how big should I make my partitions" threads you see
> on less technical mailing lists than this one.

I've heard that SuSE does this out of the box. The only thing to
watch out for is to make sure that you always have a boot disk/CD
handy that has your LVM kernel *and* the userspace utils, for the
days when things go wrong(tm). Learned from experience... :(

A big plus for LVM is the ability to take a snapshot of the
filesystem which can be backed up cleanly while the system runs
about its normal activities. This with XFS makes a fantastic
combination for servers IMHO :)

Regards,

Bernard.

--