[plug] Mplayer runs wild

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 19 14:14:49 WST 2003

Stuff below. :)

Make lunch, not war.

> > 2. What drivers are you using for yor sound and video devices?
>
>Sound - cmpci CMedia PCI cmi8338/8378
>
>Video	nv4	Riva [TNT] Rev 04
>nb. Ihave d/loaded the linux driver from nvidia.com, not yet installed
>
>The video card is pretty basic, ASUS AGP-V3800 with 16mb and I really don't
>expect much from it. I can't get fullscreen at the console. I am
>considering
>upgrading, looking at a 3G 128M Geforce MX440. Do you know it?

The TNT should do ya as far as this goes, although DVD playback may be a bit
sluggish, framebuffer playback is shocking, chuck the nvidia drivers on,
it's worth it. As far as the models go with upgrading, you should be fairly
right, just check that it's got a heatsink AND a fan, and make sure it's got
DDR RAM. Otherwise things are fairly samey in the budget range of cards, and
things won't really be noticeable between 64 and 128 meg of video ram.

> > 3. Are you using OSS or ALSA, and if so, what release version?
>
>Assume OSS *Not* ALSA Sound worked so never bothered to chase alsa.

ALSA installation is fairly easy, provided you use the scripts that came
with it. OSS drivers are pretty buggy at times and for lesser known
chipsets, can be fairly rudimentary, even ALSA's OSS emulation is
recommended over standard OSS drivers when it comes to MPlayer.

> > 4. Is your compiler the one that came with your distro, or have you
> > upgraded of late?
>Should have said this before, sorry
>Debian testing uptodate as of wednesday.

This could cause a few problems and if you've tried to use this newer
compiler to compile drivers, then you're going to get unresolved symbols for
sure, if your kernel hasn't been re-compiled with it.

> > 5. Have you tried re-installing the sound drivers? It sounds like
>they're
> > not properly installed, maybe you have to run the "make devices" script
> > again.
>
>No. Sound is working fine at the console and in Xfce and in mplayer in
>Xterms
>The /dev/dsp has 666 permissions. I run pysol to play solitaire and it
>doesnt see sound in its options,but that has not bothered me. Probably
>whatever is causing that is also gmplayer's problem

Aha! What sound interface is gmplayer trying to use? Try "gmplayer -ao help"
and see what the alternatives are. Something like SDL or esound might make a
stop-gap soultion.

> > 6. Are you using GCC 9.96?
>N, is this a typo?

Yeah, it should be 2.96.

> > Might be able to offer some help after that. :)
>
>Hope so. Thanks for replying

No worries, mate. :)
John