[plug] [OT]

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Apr 20 19:08:07 WST 2003

In message <20030420105615.GA6343 at gulag.guild.uwa.edu.au>
on Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 06:56:16PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> > Have you tried PuTTY ???
>
> He probably means that either:

To explain why I responded in that way:

 (a) I have no idea what computer's he's using (what operating system,
 what physical location such as office, lodgings, or public access).

 (b) if he has PuTTY but doesn't know what sort of proxy he needs to get
 through, then ANU's website should point the way.

 (c) if he "doesn't have access to MSN" then I presume he can't install
 his own software on the computer(s) he's using and thus if he doesn't
 already have access to PuTTY, there's no much he can do about it except
 use the proxy with whatever SSH software is already installed (again,
 referring to ANU's website).

 (d) if he *can* install MSN software but needs it to go through the
 proxy, then again ANU's website should indicate how.

 (e) if he can e-mail us then he probably has web access.

 (f) if he has web access, then MSN is presumably something other than a
 website.

 (g) if he has e-mail access, why does he need MSN (what is MSN?)

I feel dizzy.