[plug] [OT]

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Apr 20 19:24:21 WST 2003

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 07:08:07PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:

| To explain why I responded in that way:
|
|  (a) I have no idea what computer's he's using (what operating system,
|  what physical location such as office, lodgings, or public access).

Fair enough.

|  (b) if he has PuTTY but doesn't know what sort of proxy he needs to get
|  through, then ANU's website should point the way.

Probably not, given general uselessness of Uni websites in that regard.

(snip)
|  (e) if he can e-mail us then he probably has web access.

Makes sense given the reference to Optus webmail in the headers.

|  (f) if he has web access, then MSN is presumably something other than a
|  website.

Correct.

|  (g) if he has e-mail access, why does he need MSN (what is MSN?)

No idea.  MSN Messenger service is a popularish instant-messenger-y
system, akin to ICQ, AOL Instant Messenger and Yahoo Instant Messenger,
or even IRC in a very general sense.

| I feel dizzy.

Cameron.