[plug] [OT]

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Apr 20 19:10:52 WST 2003

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 08:17:35PM +1000, Tim White wrote:

| I am stuck at ANU with out MSN acess.

Not for the Informatics Olympiad training camp by any chance?  Pretty
sure it's this week...  If you are, you should probably ask someone
knowledgeable (e.g. Bernard) in person :)

| I need MSN to contact home. Any ideas?

Use email instead, if possible.  I don't believe that MSN works through
an HTTP proxy; neither does SSH.  ICQ works in such a situation, though.

It might be possible using SSH.  From some places at ANU, e.g. the CS
building, there is unrestricted SSH access to the outside world from
Linux machines;  when I was at ANU last year I managed to use KMerlin
via SSH like so:

	ssh -C -X  cameron at cp.yi.org  kmerlin

where cameron at cp.yi.org will (hopefully) not work for you :)  'twas slow
as I only had a dialup connection at the time, but it worked.

| Also I can't acess the PLUG server with ssh as I need a windows client
| that works with Authenticating (username and password) proxys.

If you have access to a machine with unrestricted SSH access (e.g.
iwaki.anu.edu.au) you can ssh to that machine and ssh to plug from there.
Otherwise AFAIK it can't be done.

HTH,

Cameron.