[plug] [OT] opinions: SCSI hard disks

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Thu Apr 24 11:03:36 WST 2003

I'm looking at getting a new file server (Linux/Samba) here at work as
our current one has pretty much reached capacity and can be pretty damn
slow at times.

I think I've made my mind up on the base server (an IBM xSeries 235),
but there is absolutely no chance that I'm going to put IBM hard disks
into it.  I'm looking at other brands and am wondering what others have
had good experiences with recently in terms of SCSI hard disks?  The
machine has onboard Ultra 320 SCSI (68pin) and I'm going to have it
setup in the form of one system drive and 4 in hardware RAID 5 (with the
ServeRAID 5i adaptor).  Looking at a drive capacity of 36Gb for all of
the drives.

TIA :)

/ Ben