[plug] [OT] opinions: SCSI hard disks

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Thu Apr 24 18:02:48 WST 2003

Bernd Felsche wrote:

>Mini-ITX based network appliance running with 250GB hard drives in
>removable caddies? Paint it bright green, screw on a sizeable handle
>and you can rip it off the network in case of fire. :-)

Multiple separate backups :)

They want a tape drive, they are prepared to spend tape drive type
money.. I'm not going to argue them out of it as I personally think its
a good solution if you've got the money for it :)

>There's always the 14-bay expansion chassis!

Well I don't think we'll need anymore space really than I'm accomodating
for from the beginning in the short to medium term.  When we do need
more, then I'll just replace the 36Gb drives with 73Gb ones :).

>Your network bandwidth will limit the speed of data the users see.
>Server-side processing is really the only way to make things really
>fast.

100Mbit should be fine to start off with, but if it is required later
on, I can simply put a gigabit transceiver into the HP Procurve it'll be
plugged into (as the server has onboard 10/100/1000).

/ Ben