[plug] Moving evolution data from Woody to Sid

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Wed Apr 30 19:18:13 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 18:28, caston at arach.net.au wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I currently have all my contacts, calendar, e-mails and task list on my Woody partition in
> Evolution version 1.0.8 ( I think).
>
> I'm just downloading evolution in sid at the moment using apt (probably 1.2)
> I have decided to move everything to sid's version of evolution to (hopefully) avoid any
> compliciations before I sync with my new palm pilot.
>
> I noticed that evolution doesn't have an export feature but I assume I would need to copy the
> .evolution profile from my Woody home directory.
>
> Can evolution import from this or do I just copy it over? Anything else I should do?
>
> When I originally migrated all my e-mails and folders back in the days of using Windows2k and
> Lookout I used Mozilla (on Windows) to convert e-mails and folders to mbox then had to create
> new folders in evolution and copy them into my evolution profile. At the time I only had about
> 20 e-mail folders so it wasn't that big an issue. Today I have about 40-50 and lots of filter rules
> so I am hopeing this is going to be a lot more automated.
>
> I did check out support.ximian.com and maybe I am blind but I didn't find anything on this
> issue.
>
> regards,
>
> Chris Caston
>
> PS I must say this but fonts are much nicer under sid. Anti Aliased perhaps....

Just copy your evolution profile directory over to sid and it will all
be taken care of automatically if my memory serves me correct [1]. The
version change doesn't effect any previous mails/calendars/contacts etc.

Michael Hunt

[1] My memory is not perfect but I don't remember there being a problem.
Best thing ios to make sure you have a backup beofre you do anything.
You can always blow away the directory and start again if there are any
problems.