[plug] How to clean out the printer spool

rhyellin rhyellin at webtec.net.au
Sun Aug 3 00:52:58 WST 2003

sometimes I want to stop printing before a document has finished, or as
recently, the printer(a HP Deskjet 500) was printing a long doc and the
screensaver came on and the printing stopped(aborted it said)  How did this
happen?

I needed to empty the spool to stop pages of ? Postscript stuff coming out
when the printer is switched back on  How do I do this?

I use RH9. I don't know how to locate "lpd".  I thought it was
"/var/spool/lp<printername>" (it's not)  Also, I tried to shutdown lpd with
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop" which failed  "line195: kill : 2529 operation
not permitted".
Process 2529 is lpd.  Coukd I kill it from"ps -aux" If so, how do I restart
lpd?
Also, how do I power cycle the printer to flush the buffer
-
How do I do this.  How do I find lpd   Can anyone help please regards
richard yellin
.