[plug] How to clean out the printer spool

Sacha Schlegel schlegel at cs.curtin.edu.au
Sun Aug 3 11:00:17 WST 2003

Hi Richard
On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 00:52, rhyellin wrote:
> sometimes I want to stop printing before a document has finished, or as
> recently, the printer(a HP Deskjet 500) was printing a long doc and the
> screensaver came on and the printing stopped(aborted it said)  How did this
> happen?

Sounds strange to me, that the screensaver did in fact stop the printing
job...

> I needed to empty the spool to stop pages of ? Postscript stuff coming out
> when the printer is switched back on  How do I do this?
>
> I use RH9. I don't know how to locate "lpd".  I thought it was
> "/var/spool/lp<printername>" (it's not)  Also, I tried to shutdown lpd with
> "/etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd stop" which failed  "line195: kill : 2529 operation
> not permitted".

Not permitted sounds like you have to do that as root...

> Process 2529 is lpd.  Coukd I kill it from"ps -aux" If so, how do I restart
> lpd?

There is the command lpq to see what is in the queue and lprm to remove
a job from the print queue.

% lpq -PHP5L

-> prints the queue of printer with the name HP5L. In this queue you see
the different printing jobs with their job numbers. Then with

% lprm -PHP5L 500

-> you can kill job number 500 from the queue of printer with the name
HP5L.

If you are using RH9 you might have a tool to do this in a graphical
user interface ... not sure.

Kind regards.

Sacha

> Also, how do I power cycle the printer to flush the buffer
> -
Depending on the printer you can press a combination of button on the
printer.

> How do I do this.  How do I find lpd   Can anyone help please regards
> richard yellin
Sacha                                   Schlegel
4 Warwick Str, 6102 St. James, Perth,  Australia
sacha at schlegel.li                www.schlegel.li
public key:            www.schlegel.li/sacha.gpg