[plug] FAQ on the PLUG site :)

Sol sol at autonomon.net
Sun Aug 3 11:51:20 WST 2003

Kimberly Shelt wrote:

>I am up for the publicity ...:)
>

>2)	Use some of the masses of money we have in the "drawer/desk"
>to advertise in the press.. Is quokka free for this kind of thing ?
>Do we get a discount cause we are non-profit..?
>Local newspapers.. community radio ?

Community radio can be very supportive of this kind of thing. Don't
think "advertising", think getting someone to give an interview on one
of their morning shows. I'm an RTR subscriber and feel pretty sure they
would slot someone in on Morning Mag if we sent them a reasonable media
release. Ditto Fremantle FM.

Also Access 31 might be interested, although they might be more
interested in coming along to the event and doing some filming of what's
going on, interviewing PLUG members, etc. It's even worth a shot at
trying to get something in the tabloids (ie: the West & The Sunday
Slimes). They come on board and do stories when it's a slow news day.

A poster run might also be an idea, though it's mondo time-consuming.
Failing all else we could resort to spam. :-P

I think Linux is definitely getting a higher profile in the broader
community these days. I have people coming up and asking me about it
now. Two years ago, mentioning the word "Linux" drew blank stairs.
People who've seen it running on machines I've installed on are often
quite impressed with the look'n'feel of KDE - "<drool>You mean it's NOT
Windows???</drool>"

Perhaps we should make a special effort at publicity this year? Problem
is, we're all so damn busy! :-\

over'n'out; sol

--
Sol Hanna