[plug] FAQ on the PLUG site :)

Kimberly Shelt kim at linmagau.org
Sun Aug 3 11:55:10 WST 2003

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 11:51:20AM +0800, Sol wrote:

> Community radio can be very supportive of this kind of thing. Don't
> think "advertising", think getting someone to give an interview on one
> of their morning shows. I'm an RTR subscriber and feel pretty sure they
> would slot someone in on Morning Mag if we sent them a reasonable media
> release. Ditto Fremantle FM.

Excellent..as an aside to this..but on the thread of radio..
I have been asked to do a quick live interview about LinMagAu
by http://www.rrr.org.au  a Melb community radio station :)
Wed 6th  7.20pm.. They have streaming, but I am not sure if
it will be on there..  I have poked allthe Melb LUGS to tune in
lets hope I don't say the wrong things :)

> Also Access 31 might be interested, although they might be more
> interested in coming along to the event and doing some filming of what's
> going on, interviewing PLUG members, etc. It's even worth a shot at
> trying to get something in the tabloids (ie: the West & The Sunday
> Slimes). They come on board and do stories when it's a slow news day.

Someone mention Access31 once before.. I will see if I can dig out
some contacts etc..

> A poster run might also be an idea, though it's mondo time-consuming.

And I would have thought costs a bomb to create ?

> Failing all else we could resort to spam. :-P

LOL.. I do a fair bit of that already.. :)

> I think Linux is definitely getting a higher profile in the broader
> community these days. I have people coming up and asking me about it
> now. Two years ago, mentioning the word "Linux" drew blank stairs.
> People who've seen it running on machines I've installed on are often
> quite impressed with the look'n'feel of KDE - "<drool>You mean it's NOT
> Windows???</drool>"

Indeed.. you might all be surprised at the number of seniors groups
taking up Linux.. In reality it is not that surprising.. many of them
come from days way back before most of us..
See here..
http://www.aboutseniors.com.au/Computers-Seniors-Opinion-QA.html
A couple of linux positives and a bit on Open Office too..
Headsup Jacqueline :)

> Perhaps we should make a special effort at publicity this year? Problem
> is, we're all so damn busy! :-\

Well I am busy with the mag.. BUT.. I am still out of work.. so
I am prepared to co-ordinate the publicity side.. any onewho wants
to be part of the "media machine".. email me off list .)

Kim