[plug] Installfest

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sun Aug 3 23:38:48 WST 2003

On Sunday 03 August 2003 22:34, Leon Brooks wrote:
> Why not do a distributed installfest? There are a couple of places
> here in Duncraig that could probably be had for a Sunday just for
> the asking. If we had UCC, here, Midlandish, somewhere Kelmscottish
> and Fremantle nobody in suburbia should have to drive more than
> about ten miles to get to one.
>
> Alternatively, a distributed/serial installfest, maybe one a month
> and rotate the venue? If we did it the Sunday before 4th Monday
> fix-it day, people with problems would have a fast repair avenue
> for those things missed on Day One.
>
> Cheers; Leon

Is Nannup distributed far enough? I don't think we are less than ten
miles from *anywhere*!

Can somebody advise what is required for an installfest? Just a server
with the appropriate images installed and sharable via NFS and a
network boot disk for the client?

I am thinking about setting up a computer/IT/programming group down
here in Nannup, and of course I would like to feature Linux. I'm sure
I will be able to take over the local telecentre on an occasional
evening, seeing as I am the one they depend on to keep it working :)

Unfortunately I'm not making much headway turning over the telecentre
to Linux - TAFE 'requires' us to use Micro$oft software for training,
although there are no complaints about the maintenence free invisible
linux server. I am wondering if I could fool them with the new Open
Office though :)

Steve

--
'What is worth doing and what is worth having?'
I would like to say simply this.