[plug] Thin client fun.

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Sun Aug 3 23:56:23 WST 2003

Hey folks :)

Having finally brutalised^H^H^H^H^Hwrangled the old filesystem off
the 4gig p133 onto a spankin new beast of a machine , I've been playin
round with VNC thin clients from some of the crazy old mac's around the
student guild.

So far verry nice. I can get a gnome desktop (kde seems to get bizare on
multi-user issues due to that retarded sound server it uses) and open
office on about 5 desktops with pretty smooth user response. It even works
ooookay over a 56k modem assuming most visual fruit is turned off (Busybox
is spectacular over vnc/56k).

Does anyone know if work has been done on delivering X over the
citrix-like protocols that the NT termserver stuff uses. VNC is still a
little bit ineficient for my liking and X on old macs requires either a
really awfull X client or an expensive one (there is a great one that is
really responsive and does rootless X for that desktop integration
smoke&mirrors scenario.)

I'd reeealy like to one-a-these-days find a way of getting groupware onto
mac os9 boxes without invoking the dreaded exchange or retarded web
interfaces, and thin client + evolution MIGHT be the ticket.

Also , anyone played round with any of that kroupware mumbojumbo.

"Must not Sleep! Must warn others!"
-Aesop.
Shayne O'Neill. Indymedia. Fun.
http://www.perthimc.asn.au