[plug] Bad sectors on IDE disk

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 10:43:49 WST 2003

I've got a hard disk with about 6 bad sectors on it. I've had disk read errors
from it. Normally I'd just chuck it, but this is a large 2.5" laptop drive.
Even at 3 years old it's replacement cost is non trivial, so I'd like to
continue using it if I can.

Are any of the Linux filesystems especially tolerant of bad sector problems?
Are there any tools which will allow me to mark the bad sectors so they don't
get used? (I know which they are because a tool from the manufacturer tells
me.)

--
> eatapple
core dump