[plug] printer still not working

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Aug 5 23:22:51 WST 2003

> | I don't know of an official definition,
> | although many people I know have highly-appropriate one-word
> | definitions like "braindead", which they also use for WinModems.
>
> I was under the impression that rendering was done on the host for most
> printers, especially inkjets, and also most non-Postscript lasers?

Yeah. They'll recognise text and print that as a backward compatability
thing, but that's about it. I think the new ones are incapable of even
that, though. I seem to remember that in winprinters the driver controls
everything from the motion of the print heads on down - there's a
rattling head w/o a brain in those printers. It was a while ago that I
heard about this stuff though, so I could easily be wrong.

Craig Ringer